ALTSTADT ⤳ office for architecture
T +32 (0)2 828 01 64
T +32 (0)2 828 01 64
Guldenvlieslaan 72 Avenue de la Toison d’Or
JDMA + Steven Bosmans ⤳ ALTSTADT ALTSTADT (office for architecture) is the new name for the collaboration between Jan de Moffarts (JDMA) and Steven Bosmans, a collaboration that’s been two years ongoing. Under this banner, we will continue our ambition for spatially precise and conceptually clear projects, with heritage as a central theme.
︎︎︎ Download︎ our yearbook, edition 2020
ALTSTADT is looking for experienced (dutch-speaking) collaborators, with an interest in detailing and construction phase of projects.
Send your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2021: METRES CARRES lecture for bru:tecture - rewatch the lecture here
- 2021: ACROSS lezing for A+, 23/3/2021 - rewatch the lecture here
2020: TaDa toekomstatelier Workshop with Willem Jan Neutelings for children of Molenbeek at the Gare
2020: Arcadia Patrimoine Industriel Revisité Visite avec expert La Gare
Korei Trek erop uit in Brussel De Gare Maritime Tour &
- 2019: Archiweek. Guided visit to the Gare Maritime
2019: Impossible Talks. Roundtable at the start of the exposition “Impossible Design” Musee du
design ADAM Bruxelles
Book launch A+278 Geleide rondleiding in de Gare Maritime.
- 2019: Brussels Biënnale of Modern Architecture Architects' houses. Nieuw woonplezier in een 19dee Eeuws pand Raadstraat Elsene. met Evelyne Van Harelbeke
- 2018: Guest lecture BRU.S.L.XL studio @ Sint-Lucas Brussels
- 2018: Restauratie en Meesterschap. Lecture for Archipel, Filmplateau Ghent.
- 2017: Guest lecture on applications of concrete in restauration. University Hasselt, Faculty of architecture.
- 2016: Brussels Biennale of Modern Architecture.
2016: Brussels Biennale of Modern Architecture. Rondleiding door de Noord zuidverbinding, central
station en het RTT gebouw
- 2015: Seminar Circular Building Design, group Transform VUB.
- 2015: Lecture at architecture week, faculty of architeture at VUB Brussel
- 2014: Invited workshop regarding “Postwar building materials” by VUB / WTCB.
- 2014 Lecture at “I Am Architect”: on the project “Ieder Zijn Huis”.
... is the collaboration between Jan de Moffarts and Steven Bosmans, and as such the new name of JDMA. JDMA was founded by Jan de Moffarts in 2016, with the project for the restoration of the Gare Maritime at Tour & Taxis. Since 2018, he was joined by Steven Bosmans, one of the former principals at OFFICE KGDVS, as a conclusion of a period of occasional collaborations. Based at Gare du Nord they are working on diverse projects ranging from heritage reconversion to new construction.
As a collaboration and a studio, ALTSTADT seeks to combine a specific know-how in the restoration, reconversion and re-activation of historical buildings, with a skill, or perhaps obsession, for methodical and conceptually precise design. Heritage, as a built presence of the collective memory and therefore essentially public space, is a central theme but not a focus. The main ambition is making spatially precise, clear, and sensible projects, independent of the origins and scope of the project, with radicality and subtlety as alternating and mutually reinforcing intentions.
Within this framework ALTSTADT is working on projects and studies of all sizes and origins in Brussels and beyond, notably the restoration and extension of a historical rectory in Brussegem, a mixed-use industrial complex in Merchtem, the reorganisation of accesses to the Tour & Taxis park, the restoration of a castle near Namur, the reconversion of the Vynckiersite in Gent and the competitions for several cultural centres in Brussels. Collaborations with other practices, such as OUEST, 51N4E, NU architectuuratelier, ORG PER MOD, OFFICE KGDVS,…, as well as with academic institutions such as KUL and VUB, are an essential part in the web of activities. In these ALTSTADT alternates between the roles of designer and advisor.
- De Roovere Machtens – Feasibility study, Brussels (BE). Competition, 2020
- Hotel de Famille – Renovation project, Leuven (BE). Under development, 2020 - …
- Vynckier – Historical study & project, Ghent (BE). Under development, 2020 - …
- Falaen Castle – Renovation project, Falaen (BE). Permit, 2020 - …
- Recyrque – Reconversion, Brussels (BE). Competition, 2020
- National Bank – Historical & feasibility study, Brussels (BE). Completed, 2019 - 2020
- Hotel des Amis – Refurbishment project, Overijse (BE). Project, 2019
- Boiler Room – Renovation & extension, Meise (BE). Competition, 2020
- Castle & Farmhouse – Renovation & extension, Meise (BE). Competition, 1st Prize, 2020 ...
- Botanique – Refurbishment, Brussels (BE). Competition, 2020
- Brouckere – Historical study & valuation, Brussels (BE). Completed, 2019
- Bollinckx Bridges – Bridge renovation, Anderlecht (BE). Competition, 2020 - …
- Maison du Peuple – Community centre, Anderlecht (BE). Competition, 2020
- Terrace – Reconversion, Brussels (BE). Under development, 2019 - …
- Alden Biesen – Feasibility study, Alden Biesen (BE). Completed, 2019 - 2020
- House Tienen – House renovation, Tienen (BE). Under development, 2019 - …
- Kaaitheater – Theatre transformation, Brussels (BE). Competition, 2019
- Maison Mosane – Reconversion, Namur (BE). Project, 2019
- Initiatiefplein – Housing complex renovation, Sint-Agatha-Berchem (BE). Competition, 2018 - 2019
- Hangar Siccard – Mixed-use project, Merchtem (BE). Under development, 2018 - …
- Park Access Jubilé – Public infrastructure project, Brussels (BE). Competition, 1st Prize, Under Development, 2018 - …
- Kunstacademie Zwevegem – New academy project, Zwevegem (BE). Competition, 1st Prize, 2018
- Haachtsesteenweg – House renovation, Brussels (BE). Built, 2018 - 2020
- Rectory & Pavilion – Restauration & extension, Merchtem (BE). Under construction, 2018 - …
- Fonds der letteren – Transformation & extension, Antwerp (BE). Competition, 2018
- World Trade Centre – Historical study, Brussels (BE). Completed, 2018
- Floralies – Reconversion, Ghent (BE). Competition, 1st Prize, Under Development, 2018 - …
- Belvedere Koekelberg – House transformation, Brussels (BE). Under development, 2017 - …
Cadixklooster – Historical Study, Mechelen (BE). Competition, 2017
- Stepped house – House transformation, Leuven (BE). Built, 2015 - 2020
- Aigle – Residential renovation, Brussels (BE). Under construction, 2018 - …
- Hill House – Free-standing house, Duisburg (BE). Built, 2010 - 2012
- Design Museum – Extension, Ghent (BE). Competition, 2018
- Victor Boin – Restauration, Brussels (BE). Competition, 2017
- Zeewezengebouw – Reconversion, Ostend (BE). Competition, 2017
- Kanal Centre Pompidou – Reconversion, Brussels (BE). Competition, 2018
- Violin studio – Reconversion, Brussels (BE). Built
- Blink – Renovation, Leuven (BE). Built, 2016 - 2018
- Hotel de la Poste – Reconversion, Brussels (BE). Built, 2016 - 2019
- Gare Maritime – Renovation, Brussels (BE). Built, 2016 - 2020
- Escherhouse – House transformation, Brussels (BE). Built, 2015 - 2019
- Het Schip – Restauration & reconversion, Hoegaarden (BE). Built, 2014 - 2019
- Garden house – Renovation & extension, Leuven (BE). Built, 2014 - 2017
Jan de Moffarts for Origin (selection)
- 2014 - 2015: Kielpark Towers Antwerp. Renovation of 3 social housing towers. Competition. Client Woonhaven.
- 2014 - 2015: Event hall complex of the Antwerp Zoo. Restoration and access for disabled people and events.
- 2013 - 2015: Former Post Office building Korenmarkt Ghent for AG real estate
- 2013: Restoration and reconversion of Mercator Ortelius house Antwerp. Competition, first prize.
- 2013: Feasibility study for the restoration and reconversion of Sint Janskerk Borgerhout.
- 2012: Restoration Averbode Abbey.
- 2011: Police tower by Renaat Braem, Oudaan Antwerpen. Masterplan, facade renovation, fire safety, for Client AG Vespa
- 2011 - 2015: Restoration of the rectorial building of Renaat Braem VUB, Ixelles.
- 2011: Het Steen. Antwerp. Masterplan and restoration strategy for “Het Steen” city castle. Competition, laureate.
- 2011-2015 Ieder Zijn Huis Renovation of a modernist housing tower by Willy Van Der Meeren
Steven Bosmans for OFFICE KGDVS (selection)
- OFFICE 280: Brussels Beer Project, Brussels (BE). 2018-, Competition, 1st Prize.
- OFFICE 252: Citroën Pompidou, Brussels (BE). 2017 - 2018, Competition.
- OFFICE 227: Bridge (Tondo) for the Flemish Parliament, Brussels (BE). 2016 - …, Competition, 1st Prize,
- OFFICE 176: Radio & Television Building (RTS), Lausanne (CH). 2014 - …, Competition, 1st Prize, Under Development.
- OFFICE 167: Tower Pavilion, Antwerp (BE). 2014 - 2015, Competition, 1st Prize.
- OFFICE 152: Incubator, Waregem (BE). 2013 - 2016, Competition, 1st Prize, Built.
- OFFICE 119: Villa (Der Bau), Linkebeek (BE). 2011 - 2015, Built.
- OFFICE 105: Renovation of Industrial Park, Anrhem (NL). 2011 - …, Under construction.
- OFFICE 78: Architecture Library, Ghent (BE). 2010 - 2014, Built.
- OFFICE 62: City Villa, Brussels (BE). 2008 - 2012, Built.
- OFFICE 57: Tunnel & Dyke, Turnhout (BE). 2008, Completed.
- OFFICE 51: 25 Rooms, Ordos (CN). 2008 - 2009, Project.
- OFFICE 39: Villa, Buggenhout (BE). 2007 - 2012, Built.
- OFFICE 17: 20 Rooms, Ghent (BE). 2005 - 2008, Project.
Jan de Moffarts
+32 486 88 53 36
Jan de Moffarts (°1980) studied architecture at UGent and then specialised in urban planning at the KULeuven. He started his career at Stéphane Beel in Ghent in 2005, then worked as project manager at Origin Architecture & Engineering. In 2015, he founded his own office JDMA, with the Gare Maritime project on the site of Tour & Taxis. Jan de Moffarts is a practice assistant at the Sint Lucas KULeuven Architecture Department in Ghent and Brussels.
+32 486 10 47 00
Steven Bosmans (°1983) studied architecture and urban design at the University of Ghent. Between 2007 and 2018 he was one of the principals at OFFICE Kersten Geers David Van Severen, where he was responsible for various projects of all sizes. In 2018 he joined forces with Jan de Moffarts. He teaches architectural design at the UGent.
M.A Art History
Albertina De Pelsmacker